The Gaelic festival of love and harmony Beltaine





I know its a little too late to wish you all a wonderful Beltaine. But, i thought, it's better late than never i always say.

Beltaine is a Gaelic festival that has been celebrated for hundreds of years. On May day, usually the first of May, people gather to welcome in the gods and goddesses of summer. Even though old,  it still has a firm hold on some people in this modern world and how it is celebrated.




Beltaine is the celebration of fertility, and joy. 

Some celebrate this day as the fire and solar festival to the "god of fire", or the "bright one". 
Others believe it is a festival of lovers, which is why it has been so well known as the fertility festival.

It is said to unite and represent the Goddess May Queen, and the God that is the green man, bringing the balance of male and female together in the dance life.



  I spent part of this magickal day sitting in the sun and shadows of the hawthorn tree, one of my most favoured trees.

I found one once by the road, and it was nearing the time where the council clean and cut the weeds by the side of the road, so i took it upon myself to save it.




I gave it a beautiful spot over looking the mountain range, at the bottom of my garden, where the faeries play.

It is my special place where i sit, when i think of those people in my life that have left the earth and reside in the other world. 
I think of them in quiet hours, and often give my gratitude and thanks for having met them and being apart of their life.

 In the spring, the tree brings me the most beautifully scented flowers, and in the autumn the tree gives berries, that are known in history for strengthening the blood, as a medicine, and enhancing the power of love in your heart, spiritually.

Also that day, I was busy in the fields, planting potatoes. We now have 5 fields of potatoes, all planted within 2 days, in drills and rows. 

Not bad going for one person, with a bit of digging from my husband, yet it makes me rather broken now. 
So i have taken a day off painting, resting and spending art and craft hours with my daughter.




  The work we put in, pays off later down the line, and it is enough to feed our family and a bit more. I am always welcoming people to come and stay here on our farm. 
We have two spare rooms in the attic, one double and one single. 
There are river beaches and waterfalls to take a break in when the weather is too hot to work. 
The old stoney village we live in, is almost completely empty of people, just a few old folks and my family left. 
The city people come in the summer time, but they have been coming less and less each year, and now with the world pandemic, no one is due to arrive. 
For us, its great, but for the old people it is sad they cannot see old family and friends at a the summer festivals.

  The days go by so fast when the weather is warm, mainly due to the fact that I'm out in the garden, dancing, singing, playing with my daughter and gardening. 
The house is nice and cool, but I'm more of a sun baby, absorbing in all that Vitamin D.

 The days are getting longer now and the sun is getting warmer. My inspiration for life is getting more intense, and I'm seeing more than i did before, from my heart my soul is my key to the doors i need to open.

  Blessing to one and all



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elderflower cordial